Keeping Cool in a Heat Wave
The next couple of days in Philly are going to be a steamy hot mess. Philadelphia public health has shared a few tips to help keep you safe and cool during this excessive heat wave;
Tips to Keep Cool
- Drink plenty of water. Avoid alcohol and caffeine.
- Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose clothing.
- Wear a wide-brimmed hat, or use an umbrella for shade.
- Slow down—rest in the shade or a cool place every chance you get.
- Stay in during the hottest part of the day (10 am to 2 pm).
- If you do not have an air conditioner, visit a senior center, a shopping mall, a public library or a friend who has air conditioning.
- Use a fan. Keep your windows open.
- Take a cool shower or bath.
This would be good weekend to take a break from running or any outdoor excersize. Yes, you can afford to stop for a day or two and chill out at home. For me, I’m taking this weekend to set up a home brew kit.
Also, check on your elderly neighbors and friends, if you need help please contact the Philadelphia Corporation for Aging Senior helpline – 215-765-9040
Have fun and stay safe this weekend!