sex hikayeleri rokettube

Home Brewing Batch #1 – Bavarian Weizen

Bavarian Weizen

I have a long history of baking bread whic makes brewing beer  a natural extension in my mad culinary skills.  This weekend I invested in a brewing kit combined with a light summer bavarian wheat beer ingredient kit. Home brewing beer is a science and an art.  It does take a bit of work to create the fementing mixture, but it is well worth the effort. Also, it is a great opportunity to learn new skills while creating a delicious product.

This is Wort

First you need to create a mixture called Wort which starts with adding malt extracts to water. This recipe called for two types of malt extract – a dry and liquid malt extract which adds fermentable sugars for yeast to feast upon.

Adding bitter hops

During the boiling process, hops are added bitterness to balance the sweetness of unfermented malt sugars while adding preservative and clearing properties to the mixture.  Hops are added at different times during the boiling process depending upon the result desired.  This recipe calls for two types of pelleted hops to be added at different intervals during the boil.

The wort is chilling out.

After boiling for like forever,  the wort is chilled and tranfered to a fermenting bucket before adding liquid yeast.  Once the wort reaches the desired temperature it is transferred and filtered into a fermenting bucket and more cool water is added.  After confirming the temperature of the water is at the right temperature, it is time to take a small sample to test the specific gravity before adding the yeast product.   One the yeast is added, give the mixture a good stirring.  Seal the lid, attach airlock and place fermenting bucket in a warm area with little light exposure.  10-14 days later the yeast should have some sweet  Bavarian Weizen beer that is ready to be bottled and aged.

Fermenting Away!

During this process, I kept a strict eye on sanitizing every item that came in contact with the bubbling wort mixture. In addition,  I thorougly cleaned and dusted every inch of the kitchen before creating the wort mixture and banned the dogs as well.

So far, I noted strong bubbling in the airlock today. My fingers are crossed that this brew turns out well as I plan to give away the finished product to friends and family. Oh, okay, I’ll keep a bottle or two.

7 responses to “Home Brewing Batch #1 – Bavarian Weizen

1. neocon

When ready, let’s get together and try it out! How is your repair on the 50mm f1.4 coming along?

• Tania

The 50mm f1.4 has been repaired – finally! As for the beer – I’m looking at mid August or a bit earlier for the beer to be ready to drink.

I look forward to hearing how it turns out. I’ve been brewing for about 20 years and those first time kits can be hit or miss. If you get the bug, I strongly recommend “The ‘New’ Complete Joy of Homebrewing” by Charlie Papazian. Helpful, informative and funny. Plus, a gazillion recipes for beer.

There are a lot of other more technical brewing books ( I own a bunch), but the one I mentioned above should be every homebrewer’s first.

• Tania

Bottling this Saturday. I’m prepared for the first batch to be good or bad as there is a sharp learning curve with brewing beer.

My director just brewed a Honey Ginger beer that was spectacular. I’m not quite there yet, but hope to be :)

• says:

Brewing is fun. It combines two things that I love: cooking and beer.

If I might make one suggestion? Every beer requires a different amount of aging. Some are good within a week or so, such as stouts, while others require somewhat longer. My first batch was drinkable-barely- after one week, but it tasted it kind of, well, green. After a few more weeks, the harshness had mellowed and it became quite tasty. My advice would be to find out what the recommended aging time is for your beer style and wait it out. The result will be much more enjoyable.

As for the learning curve, the biggest thing that you need to learn is sanitation. You can get lucky for a while, but eventually you’ll get an infected batch. Since you’re brewing in plastic, make sure you only use non-abrasive scrubby pads. If there are any actual scratches, bacteria can hide in there and avoid bleach and other cleaning agents. Should your bucket get scratched, throw it out.

Why am I harping on this subject? Because it’s painful to open and dump 5 gallons of beer. Really, really painful.

I carry on listening to the newscast speak about receiving free online grant applications so I
    have been looking around for the most excellent site to get one.
    Could you advise me please, where could i find some?

I am in fact thankful to the owner of this website who has shared this wonderful
    paragraph at here.