sex hikayeleri rokettube

God Speed Frank McDermott – Sheepdog and WW2 Veteran

Frank McDermott

Today I received heartbreaking news from Rich Davis informing us that a fellow Sheepdog and World War 2 Veteran, Frank McDermott, had suddenly passed away:

I have very tough and sad news to relay. Our WWII vet, Frank McDermott, passed away yesterday afternoon (Saturday 7/31) at the hospital. Frank was probably our most loyal and most beloved sheepdog. For over 2 years he never missed a rally, even on the coldest days, in freezing rain or wind, he would show up on his scooter and take his spot on the corner.

Frank loved the troops, past and present, and would often get misty-eyed talking about the ones that didn’t come home. He always had 2 American flags on his scooter and he loved to hold the bright yellow “God Bless Our Troops” sign. Last Saturday, 7/24, Frank was very upbeat, his surgery was a few days away and he was ready to face danger once again. His daughter, Mary Ann was at the rally and took a lot of pictures of her dad doing what he loved to do.

Despite not having his legs, we all looked at Frank as a giant man. He stood head and shoulders above most of us in so many ways. Always positive, always smiling and friendly to all who said hello. I can never remember Frank ever being in a bad mood. He was always so happy to be with us, and was a most humble man too. He was very gracious and grateful when a stranger would thank him for his service during WWII.

On the coldest days, I would say, “Frank are you sure you can be here today?” And his answer was sharp and clear and lively, “This is the least I can do for our boys.” He never complained about anything, ever. We talk about honor and dignity and quiet strength and Frank exemplified all those qualities every week for us. Humility was his trademark. Always good-natured. He truly loved his country and our rallies were a major part of his life.

Frank and Skye - West Chester, Pa

Two Generations of Heroes

Frank Ready to Rally

Frank and Mary

I had the opportunity to capture Frank on video talking openly about his views on war from one who experienced it first hand:

He always greeted me with a warm smile, a hug and a joke at the ready. He shared with me on countless occasions insightful thoughts on life and the peaceniks across the street. When he spoke, I listened.

Rest in Peace, Frank McDermott, may perpetual light shine upon you. Your Sheepdog family will miss you dearly and our thoughts and prayers are with your family.

Frank McDermott – Sheepdog and Patriot

Photo by Neocon

15 responses to “God Speed Frank McDermott – Sheepdog and WW2 Veteran

RIP Frank. I never met you but you are one of the many that sacrificed for our country.

Prayers will be going out to his family and friends

2. Trevor Hilton

RIP Frank.

Report to General George Washington at your new Duty Station.

Frank,
    Being around you was like being around Santa Claus, you always put a smile on our faces and made everyone feel like a million bucks. A lot of people in your situation would not have been as jovial and loving. You were amazing, never cranky or bitter about anything. You always saw the cup as half-full.

Looking back, it brings a tear to my eye because I/we sometimes took for granted how positive you always were, week after week, for over 2 years, you NEVER seemed down or upset about anything.

You may have lost your legs but you had something most of us wish we had – a constant warmness, a radiance. Now you are in heaven and you have a halo.

Thank you Frank for serving our country, for your courage and bravery in WWII kept us free. Thank you showing us how to carry ourselves, head high, outlook bright, faithful, humble, and loyal.

You will always be in our hearts, we will never forget you, their will be an empty spot on the corner for a long time. We will miss you so much.

Very Respectfully,
    Rich

4. michael

I was a kid who grew up with the McDermott family, and also went to school with his children. He was a very understanding man. He always looked at things for what they were. He never glorified his achievements. A family man to the tee. He taught his children well. Just talk to one of 5 and you can tell the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. He now is joined with all of his servicemen who gave their all for us. And for that Mr. M I thank you. Respectively, Mike D

5. Jim Doedderlein

“The Sheepdogs” have lost a Friend and a
    Man to look UP TO! America has lost a true Patriot and a Hero! God Bless Frank
    McDermott and his Family!

6. Linda

Everyday, we lose more and more of the old guard. Frank was one of them. His death is not only a loss for his family and the Sheepdogs, but for the entire country as well!

Skye and I discussed Frank and our experiences with him on my BlogTalkRadio show this past Sunday night—> http://www.blogtalkradio.com/icradio/2010/08/02/news

I have a picture that Skye took of Frank and I in West Chester in Sept of ’08 that will always be a keeper! Thank you Skye, for capturing that moment in time with Frank and I!

8. howard richardson

His smile made me smile. only knew him as a sheepdog so there is much I do not know about him. Always ready to talk with you, very sad at his passing. Miss him greatly, already!!!!

9. Anthony J Oleck

Frank put the “Great” in the “Greatest Generation”….I was very happy to see the Daily Local do a front page story on this great man….thanks to Rich for coordinating that with the paper….I’m sure Franks family appreciates it….and Rich the movement you started gave Frank a lot of purpose in his last years and a lot of new patriot friends, you could tell he loved being there on Saturday mornings….good job buddy.

10. Kathy McDermott
    • Dennis McGlinchey

Could someone from the family of Frank McDermott contact me at dmcg1956a@aol.com. We’re trying to determine if this is the Frank McDermott who was the brother of Lt. Thomas E. McDermott, who was killed on Dec 17, 1944 in the Malmedy Massacre in Belgium. Thank you and my condolences on your loss. Dennis McGlinchey

Hello! I just want to give a huge thumbs up for the nice data you’ve gotten here on
    this post. I might be coming back to your blog for more soon.

There is nothing better than playing the role of this angry killing machine when this happens.
    Instead of just sitting there with nothing to do, you can choose to
    play free basketball games online. Players are involved in
    buying, pricing, and selling their products (Gwidgets).